You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Cookies

Sorry to have been away for a few days. . .we have been busy with fall activities (and my housework has definitely suffered for it, oh well). Between library events, Parents as Teachers, the rec center classes, church, and friends, we have been go,go, going a little too much in my opinion. T. has had a blast with it all, though.

T.'s homemade black Spiderman costume:


Here are J. and T. at a local corn maze we went to with friends on Sunday:


I've been sticking with my menu planning and Monday Sam's Club trip and I think it has helped us with our grocery budget. I've been buying more things in bulk such as flour, butter, and sugar. I have been obsessed with cooking and cookbooks lately, especially those compilation "my best recipe" cookbooks that churches and other organizations sell for fundraisers. The cookbooks I have from our home town have had a few hits, and I found one for 25 cents at a yard sale a few weeks ago that had two recipes for dishes R.'s mom used to make but didn't have the recipe for.

Still on my cooking kick, I checked out Loretta Lynn's cookbook from the library. It has a lot of southern, Appalachian recipes in it, most of which I am familiar with. I loved the stories from her life she included as well. Apparently, her dad's favorite dish was possum and she includes the recipe for it, too. I am also a coal miner's daughter, and my dad liked to eat, of all things, groundhog liver. I'll never forget the time we came home from a summer trip and some kind work buddy had left a groundhog in a paper bag on our porch. In the hot sun. Needless to say, dad didn't eat that one!

We made Loretta's "Mommy's Sunday cookies".

They were yummy and reminded me of a snicker doodle. We dipped them in orange sugar and took them with us to meet a friend and her children at Chuck E. Cheeses on Friday. We also tried out Loretta's fudge candy recipe, which turned out horrible. I will stick to my recipe from the Solo marshmallow creme jar. It is the best.

I made R. some white chicken chili and it was awesome. We had it with shredded Colby cheese, sour cream, crushed chips, and cilantro. I will post the recipe soon, hopefully.

No comments: